How to Complain

If you have a complaint or concern about the service you have received from the doctors or any of the staff working in this practice, please let us know. We operate a practice complaints procedure as part of an NHS system for dealing with complaints, our complaints system meets national criteria.

 Complaints Leaflet (Holmhead).docx

Information about the SPSO

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) is the final stage for complaints about public services in Scotland.  This includes complaints about the NHS in Scotland.  If you remain dissatisfied with an NHS board or service provider after its complaints process has concluded, you can ask the SPSO to look at your complaint.  The SPSO cannot normally look at complaints:

where you have not gone all the way through the complaints handling procedure

more than 12 months after you became aware of the matter you want to complain about, or

that have been or are being considered in court.


The SPSO's contact details are:



Bridgeside House

99 McDonald Road




Freepost SPSO

(You don’t need to use a stamp)


Freephone:  0800 377 7330

Online contact